If a close friend or family member of yours has been diagnosed with breast cancer, you probably feel like you want to help them by any means necessary. But it can be difficult figuring out exactly how to do this, without infringing on their personal space or independence, and providing help that is actually useful. We at Nightingale have compiled a list of our top 10 gift ideas – in no particular order – for someone undergoing breast cancer treatment.
- Blanket – Make sure it’s a soft, fuzzy one. This will bring comfort and a taste of home for someone to use during chemo.
- Essential Oils – Lavender, peppermint and eucalyptus are relaxing scents to use for aromatherapy. A roller ball of essential oils is perfect to use on-the-go.
- Homemade Food – Check out our latest Nightingale newsletter for a healthy and delicious chicken casserole recipe.
- Magazine Subscription – There is something about holding paper in your hands that makes reading that much more interesting. Magazines are great for zoning out and don’t require total focus.
- Warm Buddy – A local Vancouver company, Warm Buddy products range from eye masks to sports therapy wraps that can be heated or frozen. These are awesome for any aches and pains, and are actually Class 1 Medical Devices.
- Personalized Notes in a Jar – Write short memories, uplifting quotes, etc on small pieces of paper and put them in a jar. A note can be opened any time the person is feeling down for a boost.
- Nice Lotions/Lip balm/Toiletries – These items each bring a little luxury and can give a real morale boost. In particular, products that are organic and made for sensitive skin would be much appreciated.
- Vouchers – Making homemade vouchers for fun activities is a great idea for people who are undergoing treatment because it’s something to look forward to. The vouchers don’t have to be for big events, it can be as simple as going for a walk at the beach, getting a cup of coffee at a nice cafe or watching a Netflix movie together.
- A Journal – Giving someone a pretty journal and a nice pen is thoughtful – it allows the recipient to be creative and encourages getting their feelings out there to reduce anxiety.
- A Gift Certificate – Gift certificates are a great option for the recipient to choose how they want to use it. Nightingale offers gift certificates; check out our available Mastectomy products to find out what we offer.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Nightingale is proud to be a supporter of such an important cause. If you have faced breast cancer and are looking for fitting options, check out our website for available products. We carry a large range of items, and our Certified Mastectomy fitters are always happy to help answer any questions you may have.
For more gift ideas, check out http://www.tickingoffbreastcancer.com/for-friends-and-family/gift-kindness-gift-ideas-someone-going-breast-cancer-treatment/