Nightingale carries a range of scar therapy products from Biodermis.
Biodermis silicone gel sheets, gels and ointments for scars represent the industry standard for medical professionals focused on prevention and management of hypertrophic and keloid scars. Silicone is the only clinically-proven topical method for scar treatment.
How does silicone work?
- Scars need an ideal healing environment, meaning the appropriate balance of moisture and maximum exposure to oxygen.
- Silicone completely covers the treatment site for even distribution of necessary moisture (hydration), and maximum exposure to oxygen.
- Although the entire site is covered, silicone is semipermeable, allowing oxygen to enter while keeping excess moisture out.
- Properly hydrated and oxygenated skin allows surrounding healthy tissue to better blend with scar tissue, resulting in a scar that is more natural in color, softer, and flatter overall.
- Use as directed can dramatically reduce the appearance of scars.
Silicone scar treatment in all forms (sheets, ointments, sticks) normalize collagen synthesis and breakdown, resulting in a softer and flatter scar.
Silicone is completely non-toxic, safe and easy to use, even on sensitive skin and on children. Silicone is the best option for treating old and new scars.
Unlike many over the counter scar management products, Epi-Derm, Pro-Sil and Xeragel are made of medical grade silicone. It is sold directly to Hospitals, Burn Centers, Plastic Surgeons, Dermatologists and other specialists.
What Scar Therapy Product is right for you?
The type of scar therapy product you will need is dependent on various factors. See below the differences between each product.
Xeragel is a 100% silicone gel scar treatment, designed for convenient, regular application over small scars.
- Perfect for discreet application on scar treatment sites where sheets would be inconvenient, impractical, or unsightly.
- Xeragel is a spreadable silicone ointment that is completely transparent.
- Will remain a little tacky, doesn’t dry down 100%.
- Perfect scar treatment for face, and other exposed skin such as neck, arms, elbows, legs, ankles, feet.
- The tube will roughly last 2 months, applied twice daily.
The Pro-Sil stick provides the same industry leading scar management technology found in Xeragel, in a convenient, easy-to-use glide-on applicator.
- The Pro-Sil stick stores compactly in a purse or pocket, and without drips or leaks.
- Designed for all scars, including raised (hypertrophic and keloid), flat and burn scars
- Fragrance and dye free
- Perfect scar treatment for face, and other exposed skin such as neck, arms, elbows, legs, ankles, feet
- The tube will roughly last 2 months, applied twice daily
Epi-Derm is a soft silicone gel sheet, which is tacky on the back and easy to apply. Epi-Derm silicone gel sheeting is the most effective, proven method of scar management available today. All Epi-Derm sheets can be trimmed as needed.
- Ideally dimensioned for keloid and hypertrophic scars
- Available in original, Epi-Derm clear OR fabric lined Epi-Derm Natural
- The most comfortable silicone sheeting in the industry! Significantly thinner than competitors, allowing Epi-Derm to conform precisely to body contours
- Clinically proven to reduce, flatten, fade and smooth scars — both old and new
- Helps prevent the formation of new scars
- FDA Class 1 medical device used in hospitals and clinics
- 100% medical grade silicone
- Washable & reusable
- Can be easily trimmed
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out to our Client Care Coordinators at any of our seven store locations. More information here: https://nightingalemedical.ca/locations/