Ostomy Canada Society is a non-profit volunteer organization dedicated to all people with an ostomy, and their families, helping them to live life to the fullest through support, education, collaboration and advocacy. They are the voice of people living with an ostomy in Canada. Here are some of the amazing services they offer:
- Provides a program that trains volunteers who in turn train new ostomates on how to adjust to life with an ostomy.
- Help influence public policy and obtain equitable ostomy funding across Canada.
- Conduct public education and community outreach in conjunction with their many local ostomy chapters and support groups
- Every year sends youth ostomates from across Canada to a weeklong camp that caters to the special needs of their campers. This camp is located in the beautiful foothills of the Rocky Mountains.
- Provide post-secondary scholarships annually to individuals who have had a permanent ostomy or have had bowel and/or bladder diversionary surgery in a commitment to furthering educational growth.
- Offers a scholarship to a registered nurse who has recently graduated from the CAET’s Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Education Program.
- Produce an ostomy magazine, which features compelling and entertaining personal stories highlighting ostomates and their amazing accomplishments.
- Many important collaborations with other like-minded organizations are another hallmark of OCS’s work.
Interested in getting involved with the Ostomy Canada Society? Visit their website here: https://www.ostomycanada.ca/