Seniors across the world have had days dedicated to them before, and it’s quite recently that Canada followed suit.
In 1990, the World Health Organization designated October 1st as “International Day of Older Persons.” Then 21 years later, Canada declared October 1 to be “National Seniors Day.”
This occasion is for all Canadians to appreciate and celebrate older adults. The intent of the day is to highlight the contribution seniors make to Canadian society and the Canadian economy, and celebrate the profound contributions of seniors in our homes, communities and workplaces. Seniors contribute many ways to our society including sharing their experiences, expertise and knowledge with other generations, supporting the community as volunteers, taking care of their families by providing love and care, and so much more!
There are many ways you can appreciate the seniors around you. Here are some of our ideas:
- Write a card or give a gift
- Volunteer for a charity whose mission aligns with supporting seniors
- Post your thanks on social media using the hashtags #seniorsday #nationalseniorsday
- Help them with their chores or daily tasks
- Go for a walk with them and start a conversation
- Advocate to your governments to increase support for seniors in our communities
These are just some ideas, but the sky is the limit for you to show you appreciation.
Nightingale Medical Supplies would like to give our sincerest thanks to our older Canadians today and every day for all they do for our communities.