British Columbia has declared the first week of November as Senior Fall Prevention Awareness Week. This week’s goal is to raise awareness of the importance of reducing falls and related injuries among British Columbia’s aging population and to foster leadership and cooperation among all those responsible for the health and safety of older people.
Falls among seniors are one of the most common injury problems in British Columbia. One third of seniors experience at least one fall per year and half of these seniors fall recurrently.
Here are some practices and tools we have gathered to best prevent a fall:
- Keep moving. Staying physical can go a long way in preventing falls! Try activities like running and swimming, with a doctor’s approval.
- Remove home hazards. Remove boxes, electrical cords and other clutter from your walkways.
- Use assistive devices. We offer a variety of home health care items to help prevent falls such as handrails, walkers, raised toilet seats and protective wear!
- Wear rubber-soled shoes. They help to prevent slipping and outdoor falls – also pay attention to your environment.
- Check your medication. Ask your family doctor to review your medication list. Some medications have side effects, such as dizziness or drowsiness that can increase the risk of falls. This is true even with long-term medications. Drug interactions can also be a factor, and patients taking four or more drugs are at higher risk of falling.
- Check your eyes regularly. It is important to recognize potential trip hazards when walking in unfamiliar places. Have an ophthalmologist check your vision every year and make sure that your prescription for glasses is up to date. Avoid wearing bifocal glasses because they increase the risk of falling.
- Wear safe shoes. Avoid wearing flip-flops, high heels, and shoes that do not provide enough foot traction.
For the month of November, Nightingale Medical Supplies is offering 10% off all home health care products (online only). Enter promo code ‘FPM21’ at checkout to receive your discount.